Grief Services and Support
Losing a loved one to death can be one of the most painful experiences in life. You don't have to struggle through this time alone.
Compass Regional Hospice offers grief services and support to children, adults and families through The Hope & Healing Center.
Programs and services
The cornerstone of The Hope & Healing Center programs is the personalized support we provide for hospice patients and their families. We help families celebrate life and prepare to say farewell as the end of life nears. Following the death of a hospice patient our grief counselors, social workers and chaplain follow up with the family through visits, phone calls and periodic mailings for 13 months. There is no charge for these services.
Other grief support programs and services that are available to people of all ages in Queen Anne's County and surrounding areas include:
- Adult grief support groups
- Support groups focused on loss from suicide and the death of a child
- Grief counseling for children and teens
- School-based grief counseling and support groups (grades K-12)
- Individual and family counseling
- Camp New Dawn overnight summer camp for children, teens and families
- Remembrance events
- Holiday workshops
- Lending library of books, videos and CDs
Spiritual Care and Support
We offer non-denominational spiritual support for hospice patients and families. Our chaplain will schedule visits in patient homes, nursing homes and assisted living facilities and at the residential hospice centers in Centreville and Denton for prayer and thoughtful discussion. Our chaplain will also coordinate spiritual care with the patient's clergy.
For more information about programs and services offered through The Hope & Healing Center, call 443-262-4100.
Compass Regional Hospice welcomes members of the community to volunteer in our grief support programs. After completing training, volunteers visit hospice patients in their homes and at the Hospice Center, offering companionship for the patients and respite for the caregivers.
Special training is provided for volunteers who sit vigil with patients in the final hours of life. The calming presence of these volunteers provides comfort and support to the patients and their family members.
Support The Hope & Healing Center
Grief support and services are not covered by Medicare, Medicaid and private insurance. That means that we often receive no payment for the programs we offer through The Hope & Healing Center. We depend on the generosity of community members, whose donations help cover the cost of these vital services.
- HALOS - Healing After a Loved One's Suicide - support group:Second Wednesday of the month, 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm, at Compass Regional Hospice, 255 Comet Drive, Centreville. Open to anyone 18 and older. Participants may drop in each month as they need support. For more information contact Rhonda Knotts, 443-262-4109.